Cryptocurrency Prices by Coinlib

What is carpet area, built up area and super built up area?

Have you ever stared blankly to the terms thrown at you by the real estate agents? The jargons used in the real estate industry like carpet area, super built up area and built up area leads to a lot of confusion. However, if you are planning to purchase a property, it is important to understand the terms. It may sound similar, but all the terms are very different. If you do not know what the terms mean, your agent could take you for a ride.

May you also like: Top 10 construction companies in 2018 in India​ 

Carpet Area

Carpet area is an area which can be covered by a carpet. It is basically an area of the apartment which excluding the thickness of the inner walls. The area does not include the space which is covered by common areas like lift, lobby, play area or the stairs. When you go house hunting, this is the actual area you get. When looking for a house, you need to look at the carpet area because that is the actual space you will have for your disposal. It will help you understand the usable area inside the kitchen, living room and the bedroom. Carpet area is generally about 70% of the built-up area.

Built-up Area

Another term is the built-up area. It is the area that comes after adding carpet area and wall area. This does not mean the surface area of the wall but it is the thickness of the inner walls of a unit. The walls consist of about 20% of the built-up area. It also includes other areas like flower beds, dry balcony and any other areas mandated by the authorities. These add up to 10% of the built-up area. Hence, the usable area is only 70% of the built-up area. For example, if the built-up area is 1200 square feet, then 30% is not usable which means you only get the remaining 70% as actual area.

Super Built-Up Area

Super Built-up area is a favorite of the builder. It is calculated by adding the built-up area and the common area which includes the lift, lift lobby and the corridor. Some builders also include the garden and the pool in the common area. This is known as the saleable area and you will be charged on the same. There are different ways of calculating the super built-up area for apartments.

If you do not know the difference between the three terms, you might end up making a wrong decision. The actual usable area is lower than the super built-up area. Some builders take into account the carpet area while charging you but this is a rare case. Most developers calculate the base cost on the basis of the super built-up area. If there are more amenities, the super built-up area will be high. If you are aware of the methods of calculating the different areas, you will be able to make a well-informed decision.

  • Share
logoSubscribe now