India has consistently seen a massive increase in the start ups across different cities. With the increasing popularity of the start ups, individuals are looking forward to work with them and gain a whole lot of hands on experience. There are pros and cons of working in a startup, but nothing that you will regret. Startups help you expand your knowledge base by working in different departments. There is a lot of work, but there is a lot to learn as well. Further, working in a startup can be equally stressful with the long working hours, strict deadlines and limited resources.
Working in a startup requires a different caliber and at times, the stress level will cross the threshold and you will be wondering if you are simply wasting your time. Here are a few ways you can manage the stress of working in a startup:
- Take regular breaks: Keep in mind, that nothing is more important than your body and mind. Take regular breaks during the day at work based on your requirement. A 5-10 minute break from the current tasks, will do you good. Indulge in a physical activity like stretching your body or simply playing a game with your colleagues. Listen to a song and just refresh yourself from the work.
- Prioritize the work: Working in a startup means that there is a lot to do. Everything is of high priority and every department needs your help. This makes it important to plan out your tasks and determine how much time you need for each task. Based on the priority of the task, allocate your time and take control of the day.
- Support System: Build a strong support system you can bank on. Keep the right people close to you, this could be family, friends and colleagues. Anyone you can fall back on can be a part of your support system.
- Have time for yourself: Work can get too demanding and you can forget your hobbies and find it difficult to spend time with friends and family. Keep some time aside for yourself and do things you love to do. Do anything that makes you feel relaxed and distracts you from your stress.
- Identify the stress triggers and talk about it: There could be times when you are doing everything you possibly could, yet it could leave you stressed. Identify the factors that leave you worried- this could be anything from professional to personal life. Do not burden yourself with more work in order to distract yourself from the troubles. Talk to someone who can help you with this and guide you through the same.
- Build a life outside work: Most individuals working in a startup, have their life revolving around the same. It is important to have a life outside the office, to have friends that belong to different professions and take vacations to spend time with friends and family. Ensure that your work allows you time off for your closed ones.
There is a constant rise in the number of Freshers who join startups, aspiring to make it big in the industry. Ups and downs are very common in a startup environment, but the key to remain stress free is to realize that failures are acceptable and you are only human. Do not let stress get to you and never place your work over your mental and physical health.