Health insurance plans in India serve as a financial safeguard against medical expenses, encompassing bills, medications, treatments, and dental care. They offer a safety net, especially in unexpected health emergencies. Many individuals opt for health insurance to avoid paying for medical costs out-of-pocket when they fall ill or get injured.
Health insurance policies in India are regulated by the government, offering a variety of plan types. Hospitalization coverage is the most common feature, encompassing all expenses during a hospital stay, including pre-existing conditions. It also extends to non-hospital services like diagnostic tests and prescription drugs.
Let us take a look at the top 5 health insurance plans in India for 2023:
Apollo Munich Optima Restore Health
Apollo Munich Optima Restore is a health insurance plan for your family's protection. This plan includes a feature that replenishes the insured amount if it is used up by any family member.
1. Family coverage, including the proposer's spouse, dependent children, dependent parents, and parents-in-law.
2. Hospitalization expenses coverage for stays longer than 24 hours.
3. Pre-hospitalization cover for up to 60 days and post-hospitalization cover for up to 180 days.
4. Special renewal discount for policyholders who meet step count targets through Apollo's mobile app.
5. Automatic restoration of the base sum insured if it is depleted, on an annual basis.
5. A bonus of 50% to 100% of the insured amount for each claim-free year, but this bonus decreases by 50% after a claim is processed.
Max Bupa Health Companion Plan
This comprehensive health insurance plan offers individual and family coverage options. It tailors insurance policies to suit the diverse needs of customers, offering three coverage variants ranging from Rs. 2 lakhs to Rs. 1 crore, catering to a wide range of insurance requirements.
1. Coverage for hospital expenses related to covered illnesses.
2. 30-days pre-hospitalization and 60 days post-hospitalization coverage.
3. No room rent limit, except for suites or higher categories.
4. In-patient coverage for alternative treatments like homeopathy and Ayurveda.
5. Refill benefit allows claims for additional sums, equal to the base sum insured, for unrelated illnesses after the base amount is exhausted.
Royal Sundaram Health Lifeline Supreme
This is a cost-effective health insurance option for customers seeking coverage for both themselves and their families. This policy is ideal for individuals in search of extensive health benefits, including coverage for critical and severe health conditions.
1. Multiple insured sum options: Rs. 5 lakhs to Rs. 50 lakhs.
2. 60-days pre-hospitalization and 90-days post-hospitalization expense coverage for covered illnesses.
3. No claim bonus on renewal (20% to 100%), retained even if a claim is made.
4. Alternative treatment coverage, such as ayurveda, unani, siddha, and homeopathy up to Rs. 30,000.
5. Second opinion coverage for the diagnosis and treatment of 11 critical illnesses
Cigna TTK ProHealth Plus
This health insurance plan offers excellent value for your money. It provides extensive coverage at a cost-effective price. Additionally, the plan includes wellness packages, premium discounts, and health rewards.
1. Choose from four sum insured options: Rs. 4.5 lakhs, Rs. 5.5 lakhs, Rs. 7.5 lakhs, and Rs. 10 lakhs to match your needs.
2. 60 days pre-hospitalization and 180-days post-hospitalization coverage.
3. Global emergency medical coverage for insured travelers.
4. Annual reimbursement of Rs. 2,000 for out-patient expenses like pharmacy bills and doctor consultation fees
Aditya Birla Active Assure Diamond Plan
This health insurance plan is known to be comprehensive yet budget-friendly. It also includes a health coach who provides guidance and tips through online chat and call services.
1. Up to 150% additional coverage (up to Rs. 50 lakhs) for unrelated illnesses when your sum insured and no claim bonus/super no claim bonus are used up.
2. 60-days pre-hospitalization and 180-days post-hospitalization coverage.
3. Alternative treatment coverage (ayurveda, unani, siddha, homeopathy) up to a set limit.
4. Second opinion coverage for major critical illnesses (e.g., cancer and heart attack) from network-listed hospital doctors.
5. Personalized coaching by a health professional for conditions like hypertension, asthma, diabetes, etc.
It is crucial to invest time in choosing the right health insurance scheme for yourself based on your needs and budget. Some factors you should keep in mind are the claim process, insurance amount, network hospitals and lifetime renewal.